Monday, May 25, 2009

Home

I apologize for my delay in posting....I have been busy being a mom, daughter, wife, and sister. How wonderful! Nick had a ball tournament in St. Louis over the weekend, so we spent a few days there. We got to take in a Royals vs. Cardinals game...not too exciting for me, but it is so great to see Nick take in the sights and sounds of the ballpark, all the while knowing he is dreaming of being out on that field someday. Oh, the thoughts of little boys. We also spent part of the weekend with my brother David and his family. We all gathered at our house Sunday afternoon, went fishing, and feasted that evening on fried fish, steak, sweet corn, potato salad...YUM! Another great memory to tuck away.

Of course, all is not hunky dory. Life continues to have its normal (and sometimes not so normal) struggles. I was supposed to be in Iowa tonight. However, I noticed last night that I had another rash starting. I was worried about traveling, knowing it could get bad, like it did the last time, so I put off my trip. All day I have been thinking about being at my sister's house...she lives where I was born and raised until the age of twelve. It is a small town in north central Iowa. She lives on a farm. "The farm," as we call it in our family. It is always so comforting for me to go to the farm. And usually, I find it hard to leave. 

You may have heard the saying: "Home is where your story begins." For me, Hampton, Iowa and the farm bring me back to the beginning. Being there makes me feel grounded and safe. Even though I spent many painful days and nights there - being diagnosed with cancer, puking, learning to walk after my amputation and then falling, losing my hair. Still, I find comfort in being there. 

Surely that is a testimony to my family and to the memories we created there, despite all of the difficulties life threw our way - my cancer being just one. 

When I go to the farm today, whether by myself or with the rest of the family, I find peace in my story - all of it - and in the solid foundation on which it was built. I think that is why it means so much to me. When I am there, I am reminded of and focused on all that is most important in life. 

Such as....



Playing together;



sharing time and space;



Enjoying all that is only possible at the farm;

but mostly...



taking time out to enjoy each other and to enjoy coming HOME.


No comments:

Post a Comment