Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ughhhhhhhh

Hey. I have had an exciting day....I have been working on "researching" photographers. I have had a good time looking at other photographer's websites - getting inspiration and ideas. I am the type of person that jumps right in and gets going on things. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing...I guess at times it could be a bit of both. I have had a dream to do this as a career for many, many years, and I am so excited that I can start to see it happening. I am so thankful for Richard encouraging me to go for it. I know not everyone has this. It's awesome.

I have been somewhat frustrated, confused, angry, unsure today even amid my excitement about the photography stuff. This is really hard to explain. If I explained it how it is going around in my head, I would definitely hurt someone's feelings because the things in my head are harsh. This is making no sense. Richard is laying beside me, and I said, "I don't know how to write this. I have no idea what to write."

This is what he said: "Write about how exciting the last few days have been for you. Write about how it is hard to push forward when fear and depression are lurking around the corner." I swear - word for word this is what he said. Who has this kind of man? I love him. I really do.

I think I may do a photo shoot of him. I wonder if I did, if anyone would be able to see in his eyes and hands and arms what I see. Comfort. Strength. Wisdom. 

Before I go to far, let me say he is a man. Annoyingly driven by items on a list to be accomplished. Moving forward with seemingly no emotion at times. But then he blurts something out like he did moments ago, and I am amazed.

In a way I feel I have grown up being married to Richard. I have always felt older than my age, I guess from my experiences, and I guess that is why it is possible for me to be married to someone who is 25 years older than me. (YIKES - that sounds like a lot when written on the screen!). He has taught me a lot about control and about commitment and reliability. I think I have taught him some about passion and sharing and FUN! : ) I think he only started dancing in his underwear after he met me! 

One thing he really gets about me is what I was going to write about earlier....and that is my  lack of sympathy for others going through difficult times. I can look at the situation and have empathy to a certain extent, but I am very much of the "pull up your big girl (or boy) panties and deal with it" philosophy. I have so little tolerance for people who just wallow in their miserableness, unable to ask for or accept help. I'm a counselor for goodness sake! I sound like a real B@#!. But really, when does sympathy become enabling? Do you give a homeless person on the street money? I don't. Is this bad?

I have a LOT of anger inside me about people I know (and some that I love) ruining their bodies with substances. I KNOW it is an illness. I KNOW it is an addiction. I KNOW it is terribly hard to quit drinking, quit smoking, etc....but still, no kindness. The worst part is I hate seeing what they are doing to themselves but it REALLY irks me that it affects me, Richard, and Nick. Whenever I am sick, one of the first things I think about is how those who love me are going through me being sick - AGAIN. And so I guess it pisses me off that others don't do the same. Why can others not see the damage they are inflicting?

Amy and I were discussing a person we know who is close to some family members and who is really having a hard time with life. This person has been without a job for over two years and is now losing his house and is going to move in with his daughter. Amy said, "I feel so sorry for him." And see, I don't. Not at all. Not even one little bit. In fact, I said it sucks for his daughter, and he will probably mooch off of her for the rest of his life and that he is able bodied. He could get a job at McDonalds or something. She said he has an illness (alcoholism), to which I replied, "Then get help." She thinks maybe he doesn't know where to get help. To which I replied, "Oh, please. What a bunch of bullshit. Look in the phone book, go to the ER, get it together!" So we continued the conversation back and forth, eventually discussing why it is I feel the way I feel. I said this is something I may talk with Jane (my therapist) about tomorrow. She thinks this is a good idea, because it does seem odd that I wouldn't be at least a little sad/sorry for him.

Is it a cop out or excuse for me to say that I've been through a lot, and so I don't have much patience for others getting themselves together? I don't think people need to be perfect. I DO think people should have a plan for themselves, responsibility for their well-being, and respect for the well-being of those around them. And by the way, I'd like to have world peace while I'm at it. : )

I have so much appreciated those who have supported me in my many, many ordeals, so I do not mean to sound ungrateful or unmindful of that. Whether others around me realize it or not, I do try and get up and go and have a plan for myself....not just for my sake but for the sake of those who love me. I don't want to see them hurting. Sometimes this drives me crazy - literally, and it is what caused me to contemplate suicide this year. I hate being a burden on others.  Perhaps this is why I have so little tolerance for others who are? 

This is a deep, deep and complicated topic. I am going to end now before no one ever reads this blog again because it is so....I don't know....WEIRD! :) Thanks for listening! 

The art for today is a digitally altered picture I took on the way to our lake. Normally where there is one dandelion, there are many, many more. This one was out there, seemingly all alone. It struck me - this is me. I look like I should be part of "the crowd." Really, I feel fragile and isolated and alone. But not always! Sometimes I feel unusual (in an exotic sense), beautiful, and just one of many! So yeah, this is me. Angie the Dandelion:



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post.

    I can understand and identify with what you say about having a supportive husband during a time of depression and anxiety and panic attack disorder and still today some 15 years later.

    My husband would say and still says some of the same words as your husband did.

    Also read that when you were in the hospital you were one of few that had that---I was also----it did make be feel different the problem I had was that the others in my group would say that I thought I was better than they were---that really hurt---because at that time I was no better just had more support from husband that was at home taking care of a daughter and also family and friends from work and church.

    Keep writing and may you have the best day you can today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, "Angel"----I mean ANGIE THE DANDELION---Look closely at the picture, sweet friend. Like this picture, you have also been "digitally altered"----LITERALLY by your amputation. But take a closer look---like this dandelion, you are LUMINOUS, and you are the ONLY stem standing absolutely straight and proud in front of a sea of springtime confusion. Your strength and your beauty and your wisdom ASTOUND me! And BECAUSE OF THIS, WE LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete